Friday 24 August 2012

Glossybox August

A few months ago I ordered my first Glossybox and have loved them every month since (aside from that Harrods blip - but I forgave them as they have MORE than redeemed themselves since!) 


Every month I get a beautiful little present delivered to my desk and get all girlie and excitable - and this month I thought "why on earth am I not sharing this with everyone?!" - so here you go! 


All wrapped up with a ribbon and nesting on some, erm, pretty stuff is a fab selection of new products and brands that I would probably never normally try - mainly because I get all my make up from the sale and offers in Boots (you KNOW I'm thrifty, right?!) 

Each month you get a card that explains the month's theme - this month is international superstars, bringing you the best products from other countries as well as the UK so you can try new things. 


Inside the card is a description of the products enclosed and a little detail about what they are and where you can purchase more, if you like what you get.


And here are the products themselves - this month we got six, normally it's five, so I'm extra excited. 



First up - Alessandro pro white - nail treatment. £7.85

This claims to make your nails gleam and has an anti-yellowing formula so you have beautiful white nails.

I painted it on yesterday and it dries almost immediately, it does indeed make your nails very shiny - but not like applying a clear varnish, it kind of soaks in and doesn't make your nails feel cloyed up like clear varnishes can. I don't know whether it is having any anti-yellowing effects but my nails are shiny and feel strong, so I suspect this will get a lot of use and be something I'd buy again, though I do think it's quite pricey. 

Next up - DHC deep cleansing oil. £18.50

I used to use olive oil as cleanser, after reading it as a beauty tip on someone else's blog. I don't know why I stopped as, actually, it was the greatest product I'd ever used and I had fabulous skin whilst I was in that phase. This product seems basically the same as that. The oil is scentless, but of a thinner consistency than olive oil, and doesn't make you feel like you're rubbing cooking oil on your skin. After using it my make up was all gone, with little effort, and my skin felt great. 

I think it would be hard to rinse off if you hadn't already experimented with olive oil and knew the magic trick - which is to run a facecloth under hot water, as hot as you can stand, and use that - then rinse with cold to close your pores again. Glowing skin, no funny smells, no fancy schmancy products - so I recommend this, but will probably go back to olive oil now I've remembered about it! Particularly because of the price (you KNOW I'm tight!) 

All for Eve, the Eve appeal – Eve’s balm - £4.95

All for Eve is a philanthropic beauty venture, selling good quality beauty products with natural ingredients, free of paraben preservatives. 
The Eve Appeal raises funds and awareness of gynaecological cancers and All For Eve donates all net profits to the cause. 

The balm is designed for re-hydrating dry and chapped skin, and with lavender, wild mint and chamomile it is very soothing. I get chapped hands (from never wearing gloves when I bleach things) and the balm is great on them, but a little greasy. 

It’s a solid block in the pot which means it’s hard to apply on larger areas as you can only rub small amounts off at a time, but it smells glorious and is very soothing both on the skin and on your mood. 

It’s not quite as nice as the Figs and Rouge 100% organic balm that came in a previous Glossybox, but it is nice and because it has the added benefits to The Eve Appeal I would certainly buy it as a lip balm and for using as a cuticle cream, which I noticed it did very nicely for (also giving my nails a lovely shine). 

Vera Valenti – eyeshadow palette - £3.85

I love a good eyeshadow palette – and this one is in shades I often gravitate to when buying make up, various earthy, natural green and brown shades. 

There’s a good mix of colours for a variety of looks, and to suit a variety of skin tones, and they apply reasonably well. The sponge applicator that comes with it is disappointing, but they often are when included in a palette so I wasn’t too surprised. 

The eyeshadow itself isn’t the best quality I’ve used. The colours aren’t as strong on the skin as they are in the tray, and I needed to apply a number of layers to build colour up. 

However, it’s a very good price for a palette, so for an inexpensive addition to add some variety to your make up bag it’s fine. I’m not sure I’d buy one again as there are shadows out there for similar prices that I prefer. 

Lipcote - £3.99

This is a product blast from the past – I swore by this in my teens and had kind of forgotten about it. You paint it on over lipstick and it prevents your lip colour fading, feathering or rubbing off for much longer than usual. 

It stings a little as you apply it, and doesn’t taste wonderful – and it can leave your lips quite dry – BUT it does exactly what it promises and keeps your lipstick where you want it for hours. It won’t last all day, at least not if you eat and drink as much as I do, but it’s saved my tea cup from many a bright pink smear and meant I’ve not had to re-apply my lipstick anywhere near as often. 

Definitely a product I recommend, and one I will keep buying now I’ve been reminded of it! 

Glossybox lipstick in glossy pink - £9.50 

This was a nice surprise in the box – I forget that the company are making their own brand products too. I have to say, I wasn’t expecting much because initially I just thought this was a ‘freebie’ added in – but actually, the colour is lovely, and the lipstick applies really nicely. I only ever apply lipstick straight from the bullet and don’t bother with brushes etc. so it’s nice to have ones that apply well. 

I’m not sure I’d pay the full price for this, but I don’t think I’d ever pay that for a lipstick, whoever made it – but I do like it very much so hope they’ll have a sale!

So there you go. It costs just £10 a month to sign up and, as you see here, the products are worth considerably more than that - and the whole thing is presented beautifully.

Glossybox can be found at www.glossybox.co.uk and if you want to get a discount on signing up, and some bonus glossydots which earn you freebies and exclusive offers on the Glossybox website drop me an email on whatyourocking@gmail.com and I'll send you an invite (you can just sign up though, you don't need me to refer you if you'd rather not!) 

Glossybox haven't asked me to do this review - haven't offered me any freebies or anything - I just genuinely love the idea and think people who don't get it are missing out! 



3 comments:

  1. I used to get Glossy box I had one good box and the rest not so good. All samples or shower gel. Lots other people on their Facebook page say the same thing. I must say your box looks good. I tried She Says Beauty and it wasn't any better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Harrods one a few months ago was RUBBISH - all the kind of free crappy samples you get with magazines - but since then it keeps getting better and better.

      When you sign up you get a profile where you can select the kind of products you'd prefer and you can edit your profile any time to change that - I think I remember specifying that I wasn't that interested in shower gel type stuff.

      The Harrods one made me think about cancelling - but I'm glad I didn't as the last two have been excellent and the one before that was pretty darn good too.

      Delete
  2. I filled in the profile too and said no shower gel or hair products but they said on FB they're not using the profile yet. Some people do seem to get slightly better boxes but seems to be luck of the draw, I had mostly small samples after the first box.

    ReplyDelete